View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
ChicagoRY

My Ride: 2002 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKTim View Post
2000 323i 5speed 170,000km

Today I did spark plugs (NGK) and Diff Fluid (Redline) and threw in a magnaflow resonator.

Here is an album
http://imgur.com/a/GsEBT

The Diff Fluid:

I drained the fluid, only about 1 liter came out, there was no metal shavings, but the fluid was dark. It was still very clean, but dark. When I filled the diff back up I was only able to fit one liter (one bottle) before it started coming back out. My car was not perfectly level. The rear end was a couple of inches higher than the front end. So theoretically I might have overfilled it, but I was only about to fit one liter in. I drove the car for about 20km without issue.
My repair manual says I should be able to fit 1.73 liters.
The pictures will show you exactly how much came out...
Should I be worried?

Also I took some other random pics of my car, and noticed a power steering fluid leak which I will work on soon.
First - it's a diff, not an engine that goes through a combustion process - so unless there is a leak of the fluid you shouldn't be depleting fluid over time. It's not going to evaporate. So what you take out, should be what you put in. If there is a big discrepancy, you probably have a leak.

And I think it's normal for fluids used for lubrication of metal to turn brownish over time. Occasionally someone that has a lot of experience can smell a problem with engine oil (i.e. coolant in it) but, those skills aren't necessary for DIY, mainly just party tricks.

And I think your service manual is incorrect or you're looking at the wrong fluid. This is what my Bentley says:

PS - listed "capacity" will always be a little more than what you can actually fill it with, since there will always be some left in whatever you're draining (still adhering to metal, etc.).

hth

Last edited by ChicagoRY; 05-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.
ChicagoRY is offline   Reply With Quote