View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
FreddyM3

My Ride: M3
"A couple of thoughts/suggestions where I differed from the OP:

-- Go to Harbor Freight and spend a buck or two on a trim removal tool rather than a screw driver. Mine (don't remember where it came from) looks like a miniature plastic pry bar, and 1) doesn't scratch the paint and 2) gives you a lot more leverage to pop the clips holding the door panel

-- My rattle ended up not being the loose Torx screws in the window carrier. Instead, one of the nuts (top, rear of door) holding the window regulator had loosened and vibrated off. I found the nut (10mm BTW) down in the bottom of the door skin and grabbed it with a pair of long nose pliers and reinstalled it. No more rattle."

I bought the plastic trim removal tools ($8 I think it was) from Harbor Freight as suggested. Really worked well. My rattle was also a missing nut; the top rear of door window carrier bolt that had loosened up and fell off. It was sitting in the bottom of the door. The OP said that a 5mm socket was used to tighten his window. A 5mm would not fit onto mine. The 5.5mm worked perfectly. This DIY solved my door rattle once I realized the nut had come off. I used some blue lock tight on it and snugged it up. Good bye window rattle!
Something else, I am calling BS on a 30 minute job. Yes, maybe after you do it once, but not the first time. Anyways, thanks to the OP for posting this DIY!!!!!!!! Really fairly easy once you figure it out.
FreddyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote