View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #84
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Surprisingly interesting thread.

I'm building a cooling system for my car which is going to use lots of 6061 and 6063. What treatments offer the best ultimate corrosion protection, most visually appealing corrosion protection, and most economical corrosion protection? The primary areas of corrosion protection were on the exterior of the original aluminum and mild tubing, where the overlapping hoses would trap what I assumed was splashed water during driving. The interior of the original tubing showed zero corrosion after 28 years.
To be frank, I've never dealt with corrosion protection on any aluminum structure(s) so I'm not really in a good position to offer a solid answer as I do know aluminum doesn't react like the metals I'm used to handling.

Two things:

- Check out NACE.org (NACE: National Association of Corrosion Engineers) and search for 6061 and 6063 and take a gander at some of the resulting articles. I'm a member, so if you find something you'd like to read up on, just contact me and I'll see what we can do. I ran a quick search and saw a few topics that may be worth a read for you.

- I reckon the biggest issues with the joints has to do with the issues of welding aluminum and purity in the rods/filler used along with heat stress the softer metal is exposed tol.

Last edited by Jmanscotch; 05-17-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Jmanscotch is offline   Reply With Quote