View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #31
Ivan22

My Ride: 2001 E46 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
I went with the Kicker amp specifically because it has dual sensitivity differential RCA inputs, which are compatible with the stock HK system (without requiring line level to RCA converters). The cabling is easier, and there's less to buy.

Keep in mind, I kept the stock head unit and HK speakers in the cabin. If you're replacing your head unit also, you can go with pretty much any amp that you want. I still recommend the Kicker- as they're a lot of amp for the money - often providing more power than they're rated for.

You can use any subwoofer you want if it's in a box designed for that particular sub. If you're going to build it into the ski-pass opening, you'll be wanting to use a free-air design, so it uses the volume of air in the trunk as the 'box'. Just check to ensure that your current ratings are good (ie: don't plug in a sub designed to draw 1Ohm if your amp doesn't support it).
Nice work. How is the performance of the free air? Is the bass tight, even with the top down? Im figuring a 10" free air may be almost as good as an 8" sealed...
Ivan22 is offline   Reply With Quote