View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
You're not being a dick at all, that's a valid point, and most people don't understand the difference. I'm aware there's a ton of different "standard OBD2" logging software's available... but over standard OBD2 protocols you're looking at very slow data rates for only a few data points at a time and nothing BMW specific (VANOS, Inputs/Outputs, etc).

Let's look at just the analog data points I show in the video, for example. Using standard OBD2 protocols you would only be able to update one data point (Closer to 1.5, but let's be realistic that's not actually a full two) at the same rate I'm updating all of the 14 analog data points shown in the video. So that'd be just RPM, as an example. Start adding more points like VSS, IAT, ECT, etc, and you're slowing your data rates down by however many items you want to monitor (If you have that app, give it try for yourself). Noting that you can't even get VANOS data through standard OBD2 protocols, that means it would take you ~8 times as long to collect less than equivalent data... more than a full second if you were going to graph the same data out. Not very useful. If you only wanted to see one or two data points over standard OBD2 that would be absolutely usable, but being a tuner myself I like the full spectrum for diagnosis and analysis, and that's why I wrote this app in the first place. When it comes to tuning you could use this to provide your tuner with a datalog showing a possible problem area and he would have a lot more data to diagnose with than going in blind or using a standard OBD2 app.

Then add in that we can view VANOS, status, and digital inputs/outputs (Brake comes in really handy for logging on track) that your standard OBD2 app can't display. Well, you get the point.
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote