View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #373
Grease_Monkey

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Helpful hints!

If you have some of theses problems, ive made a list of ideas and hits to make this DIY easier!
*EVERYONE SHOULD CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE SOLERING POINTS DIDNT BREAK ON THE BACK OF THE MICROCHIP BOARD. MINE WAS, AND I COULD HAVE AVOIDED CHANGIN A PERFECTLY GOOD BATTERY!!! All I needed was a small re-solder of the Negative tab where it connects to the board.

1."Fob is hard to open or I keep cutting my fingers"
-Try to use an actual Carpenters Knife with a NEW razor, and only let the blade out ONE click. This makes the blade easier to handle and theres less risk of going so deep you cut the microchips/ so ive seen. And take your time..

2."Im having trouble with getting the old battery out"
-Use the razor flat against the battery and slice the spot welds. Take your time.

3."Key still doesnt work, tried reprogramming and it didnt work."
-Make sure the battery is making good contact and is not reversed. My battery is positive side up/..

4."How sould I re-seal the key"
-CrazyGlue/ or Gorrila Glue. Run a small bead around the bottom part of the FOB, then lay the top part with the buttons down to the glue. Use a zip tie around the butt of the key if yours isnt broken. Then clamp the front, Not on the buttons. Use this because othe things will ooze inside the key as they dont dry fast.

Futhermore.. I did not remove the OLD tabs, Nor did I solder ANY tabs to the new battery. I used a generic 2025 and just slid it between the old tabs. The pressure of the outer case keeps it tight enough to ensure good contact.

EASY is, as EASY does