Thread: Teenage Dream
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #28
NathanHeeney

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Front Speakers

Today after work I picked up some more speaker wire, butt splices and RCA splitters to get finish up my front two door speakers.

IMG_2869

IMG_2877

First two things I started on today was cutting my soldered wire and then connecting them with butt splices. IMO I think going a non-soldered way of installing your audio comes out cleaner. But that could just be me, I am not the best at soldering in the first place. For the second tweak I did today was plugging in RCA splitters so I can get audio to my front two crossovers.

(Before)
IMG_2878

IMG_2875

I took the door panels off and went to work at placing a little bit of Dynamat on the front two doors. I have only done the passenger side so far and I will get to the other side tomorrow. I cut the Dynamat into small squares and placed it a little spaced out all around the door. I will put down a little more tomorrow but it already sounds a lot quieter just tapping on the door.

IMG_2881

IMG_2882

IMG_2884

I uninstalled the stock Harmon & Kardon speakers and began modifying the new speakers into place. I dremeled off the midrange speaker magnets to fit the new tweeters in place. To go the extra step, I smoothed off the back of the midrange speaker housing. For the stock tweeters I left those their as they aren't going to be plugged in anyways and they are roughly half an inch across. I applied hot glue to the Polk Audio tweeter and the midrange speaker housing. It looks a little messy but it doesn't rattle at all and is impossible to tell that it has been glued in place from the front of the door panel. I tilted the tweeters up a little during the glue process as well to help angle the sound. I used a glue gun and placed the crossovers into the rear corners of the door panels.

IMG_2885

IMG_2890

IMG_2897

IMG_2903

IMG_2904

IMG_2902

IMG_2906

I will show more tomorrow as how I fit the 6 1/2" speakers into place without making a custom adapter or using the OEM speaker ring.

IMG_2908

IMG_2911

IMG_2909

So far so good! No rattles from any of the speakers. Sounds great! Can't wait to finally have all my speakers installed. I have just been listening to the rear speakers and subwoofer. The only thing to do after this is to install a DICE kit so I can use my iPhone in my car.

All I have to do tomorrow to finish up my install is take out the kick panels and run speaker wire through the grommet/firewall that runs from the main chassis to the door.
NathanHeeney is offline   Reply With Quote