View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
No, No, No!
There are always two or more schools of thought when it comes to issues like these. A better service to members would be a poll to illustrate experience with these items rather than the sky is failling, replace everything now approach!
My experience:
Fuel pump - 10 years 160K, relay still Ok at 175K
Battery same. Alternator suffered a bearing failure at approx 120K
Cooling system - original tank, hoses and radiator still in at 175K
- water pump replaced when it actually started leaking at 114K

As you can see, if I had gone into panic mode at 60K, I would have spent a whole lot of money for nothing. The only thing on the above list to be changed regularly is the fuel filter. So, for a commuter like mine the experience may be totally different from a ham fisted tire burning drifter.
People with our school of thought never become stranded. Of course you can drive your car til it rots into the ground. Just because your car starts and drives doesn't mean you've done yourself any favors. Don't maintain your car and at that point, it's a rolling pile of rotted rubber and worn parts

I am proud to say that my car is almost completely rebuilt or refreshed from the ground up and the results show the moment you turn the key to the moment you shut the door. Very, very pleased. Confidence and peace of mind is worth every penny.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote