View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
netgun

My Ride: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

I've only been as far as Dinner Plain on this route which I have to tell you is stunning (especially in winter) but can offer a few suggestions already. Going outside of the ski season means we can forget chains and indeed potential park entry fee issues (though they don't apply if you just pass thru). They use number plate cameras at the boundaries to work out if you've done this.

We should take a short cut near Glenrowan and exit the Hume Fwy there (a bit before Wangaratta) just past the big twin service centres (Maccas). This is C522 - Glenrowan to Myrtleford Road. Goes thru Milawa (famous for its cheese and chicken among other things). This cuts about 20-25 mins off the trip. It meets the Great Alpine Road just west of Myrtleford. Sticking to the speed limit will be especially important on this shortcut.

We can top up 98 octane fuel at the twin service centres, at Myrtleford or at Bright. I understand the next fuel possible stop which is Omeo does not have 98 but I could be wrong. I've not been there yet but I understand the drop down into there is awesome as told to me by a local when I was last up there in August 2011. There are two service stations in Bright that sell 98. This is about 3 hours into the trip so it would probably be the safer (though more $$) top up point.

Bright has an excellent bakery that I've stopped at numerous times, it's right on the main street. There is also a great brewery there but I expect we'll be thru there before it opens (11am).

Photo shoot wise. Assuming the weather is compliant we should do a shoot in the large carpark located a km or so before Hotham Central just near the reservoir that is adjacent to top of the Heavenly quad chairlift. This (gravel) car park is at around 1840m and has a stunning rugged mountain backdrop (including Mt Feathertop) as far as the eye can see. Unless the ski season dies hard we should still have snow caps in the background here and probably snow drifts about the summit area of the ski resort. There is a shear drop of well over 1000m behind the car park!

As the photos show, the climb into Hotham from Harrietville is just awesome. Once you get out onto the open ridges the road alignment is just insane. Whoever designed this road had driving bliss in mind. The drive from Hotham thru Dinner Plain and onward before the drop into Omeo is mostly straight and flat despite the fact you're over 1500m above sea level. It's a nice pleasant cruise surrounded by snow gums and cold cold air!

Perhaps lunch in Omeo? Not sure.

Anyway the Great Alpine Road is the highest publicly accessible road in the country and is definitely one of the greatest roads we have. Should be a long but very enjoyable day.

Last edited by netgun; 06-25-2012 at 06:16 PM.
netgun is online now   Reply With Quote