View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
SuperSleeper

My Ride: 2003 330CIC
Question DVR cams now make sense?

So my car has been hit 3 times while parked (don't ever buy silver car they are invisible). My insurance deductible is $500 a pop. The insurance company said if I had a video of it they would have waved the deductible.

I have a 4-camera dvr I got off woot for $150 that I was going to put on the house but never did. It runs off 12v DC! The cameras are infrared/waterproof. They are kinda large and unsightly. I was staring at the ass of my car wondering where I was going to place these things, then it hit me. The rear fogs! I could completely conceal these things inside the housing, all I would need to do is replace the red with clear plastic or find some aftermarket fogs that would work. The front of the car is easy as I could mount these cameras in the grills, or the front fogs.

Next to consider is the power drain. A standard sata hd will take considerable power constantly running, so a small and slow/cheap solid state would do nicely. Plus it's best not to have moving parts while hitting bumps, etc. I have a 20 watt solar panel that I was considering canabolizing and mounting to the convertible top decklid. I'd want to do a nice plush job with that too as to not have unsightly wires and such. I was considering mounting the solar panel anyway with the amount of electronics I run in the car. This panel charges a full car battery on a cloudy day easily, and will have no problems keeping a dvr happy.

The dvr housing is small and slim, and fits nicely in between the spare tire and the cover next to my amp. I have all the wiring I need right there. My 16x9 MKV NAV unit has aftermarket composite video input for the dvr video out. That is tested and works nicely. It can also serve as a driving/blindspot/parking aid.

This project almost seems too good to be true. Not sure if I have the time to tinker around with it, but it wouldn't be much, if anything out of pocket to try it. I used to think it ridiculous, but insurance deductibles and lower monthly rates justify it pretty easily.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.