View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #1023
Basketcase

My Ride: 2005 AW/IR M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibaltic View Post
I never said quality air struts won't handle well, I only said about their stiffness. There is no way an airbag would be stiff enough to keep my wheels off my fenders at the low pressure it'd take to be at my desired ride height. I currently have 800# rear springs and they struggle to keep wheel off my flared fender. I've been in and driven cars with air, bags are stiff as coils at reasonable height, but once you are getting low then they loose all stiffness.

Personally I think the air vs static argument is stupid. It's all in what you want/need for your car to get the desired stance. They both have their pros and cons you just have to weigh them out.
Get new wheels! Haha joking

Ya I know what you mean completely... I have had slammed static cars for years and always hated air because of the poor ride quality and not being able to ride low enough.. And that was from riding in my friends cars that have been on air for years.. But my only point was that air struts aren't like they used to be, technology is coming along and making them leaps an bounds above what they were. My Airrex struts can run a small spring (any rate you want) underneath the bag on the thread strut bodies, so then when you air out completely you are basically on a coilover setup with spring and dampening adjustable struts.

I'm not trying to argue at all! And not trying to force my opinions, especially since I still had my sticker saying "bags are for fags" on my car until a couple weeks ago haha.. Just trying to shine some light on the new products and technology out there these days for us who want to drive on the ground all day and still be functional.
Basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote