View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
BAMxi

My Ride: 2007 TiAg 328xi e90
Am I crazy to consider going from an e90 to an e46 (non M)?

Hi! So as you can tell, I'm brand new here. I've been an e90poster for a couple years now, but before I got my e90, I was a hardcore lurker on this site. The e46 was the BMW I always planned to be my first, but I somehow ended up finding a 2007 328xi e90 instead.

First of all, let me say that I'm not unhappy with my current car at all. In fact, I actually love the thing. Of course there are always mods or improvements I would like to make, however overall, I've been very impressed with my 3er. That being said, in the next several months, I'm going to be making a move from my current cubicle-imprisonment to self employment, and dropping the car payment would help substantially. I know there are many cheap reliable cars that I could move to, however I'm pretty sold on BMWs, and really can't imagine not owning one. So, I'm considering buying an e46. Plus, I've loved the way e46es look since driving my buddy's e46 m3. My thinking is I could sell my car and get the loan paid off plus some extra to put toward an e46 (thinking around $7k-$9k). I'm not opposed to basic DIY and am pretty good at following directions, but I'm no professional mechanic, and am opposed to being stranded on the side of the road.

After spending some time on here, I can't tell if the e46's common issues are just very well documented (a plus in my book), and if the e90s are just now coming of the age where they start having their own problems to be discovered, or if the e46s just have a lot of problems. I guess my question is this: my main objective is to get rid of my current $350 car payment while I build my business, and have a reliable daily driver that will last me for the next few years, until I can ultimately get into a newer car.

So, what's your honest opinion? Am I better off just keeping the e90 xdrive and sucking up the payments (and consequently the cubicle job that I hate for a while longer)? Should I just buy a Honda and shut up? or could I get away with a nice e46 for the next few years? Do you think repairs and maintenance on an e46 with 100k+ miles would just completely negate the savings of no car payment, and I'll die poor and alone in the gutter somewhere?

thanks for your advice, and reading all this. Sorry for the long post.

Here's the current ride:

Last edited by BAMxi; 07-06-2012 at 10:47 PM.
BAMxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.