View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #105
filipinoise

My Ride: '02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by yemff View Post
I am just about to attempt this on a 2002 325Ci, does anyone know if this car has the bosch or the valeo? Also I was looking at the regulator on partsgeek and it shows 2 different regulators that appear to be the same thing, does anyone know the difference between the top 2

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...regulator.html

I get about 11V while the car is running, and about 9V when the car is off, but the battery is dead. No noise from the alternator, so I'm pretty sure it is just the regulator.
When I replaced my voltage regulator in my '02 325ci, in order to find out whether I had the Bosch or Valeo VR, I had to remove the air intake box, as well as unbolt the PS reservoir and put that to the side (it can probably be done without having to worry about the PS reservoir but it made it a little easier and it's two simple bolts so why not). Then, I got my iPhone 4 (thank goodness for the LED flash, I never thought that thing would ever come in handy...) and tried angling it where the VR was (I'd say that this requires some dexterity, and even then, expect a whole lot of trial & error) and by luck, after taking countless photos with my iPhone 4's camera, I was able to find out my VR was a Bosch 120A. You can probably do the same with a small mirror (key word: SMALL) but regardless of which way you choose to find out which VR you have, that's the way I decided to go about with it.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1341939443.580690.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	460253  

I take pictures in the San Francisco Bay Area.
www.eluisphoto.com
filipinoise is offline   Reply With Quote