View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Dashaiva

My Ride: 328Ci
Is this too low an offset?

Hey everyone, new here. Just bought a 2000 328ci with 94k km a month ago. Got some new wheels/tires, but think I made a mistake...

I got a set of replica wheels that are 17x7.5 with an 18 offset on 225/45/17 tires. The guy at the tire shop said the offset options were 18 or 41. I took the 18 thinking it would push the wheels out, and he said it would but that it may rub if you turned to full lock, which i'm fine with.

Wheels & tires were put on today and they look fantastic, pretty much flush with the wheel wells. When driving though, at around 50 - 60km/hr the steering wheel shakes a bit, but smoothes out above or below that speed. When going 80 - 100km/hr and hitting the brakes (light or hard doesn't matter), the steering wheel shakes a fair bit.

With the old wheels/tires there was a touch of steering wheel shake because a wheel or two was bent, but i've never had the shaking while braking.

Car is completely stock other than the new wheels. My questions are:

1) Is that offset too low for a 7.5 wide wheel? Should I try and exchange for the higher offset wheels?
2) With the steering wheel shaking now, would that be a bad balance or because I now need an alignment?

Suggestions?
Dashaiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.