View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerguy82 View Post
How do you know when its bad or worn out?
Great question. I will try to address this tonight. My main laptop died and I am waiting for the parts to arrive so I can fix it. In the mean time I am using a backup laptop and cell phone to post to e46. It is hard wo all my saved bookmarks and photos.

The conventional wisdom is.that u can see the rubber dampening material getting distorted. However, all the used dampers I saw to include 3 brand new one (x2 febi, 1 corteco) have the "distorted" look. I guess this is part of the pressing process when the manufacturer try to install the crank pulley into the AC pulley and the rubber material just get twisted in the process.

So I am not sure how u can tell visually beside hearing any noise or seeing the pulley spinning not evenly.
Let me try to see if I can pull the pix from my broken laptop

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

here are some pix and post from the forum stating the tell tale sign of a worn dampers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post

After our M54 motor popped (twice) I went and bought a 2005 330 rollover car, with a running motor, which we're stealing the drivetrain from now. Got the front end peeled off to where we can see the OEM balancer (which we had planned on keeping for a short while, awaiting a real balancer to be built), and...

The OEM balancer has slipped. This is a motor in a plain jane 330 automatic, with 60K miles, from a 2005 model car. And its junk. Thanks, BMW.

Meanwhile, my ultimate E46 motor solution is in progress on another E46 we have.

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
So if the rubber damping ring looks ok in the back, but uneven in the front, that's a bad damper, correct?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
So based on the picture in post #105 I should assume that my vibration damper is bad too?

(Using a long piece of flexible 1" PVC tubing as a "stethoscope" I believe that it is the idler pulley that is making the squealing noise.)
Here are the Pix of the distorted look.

what does this mean? This either mean that my Post and Pre 2002 Dampers and Three BRAND NEW Dampers are all defective or the distorted look is normal due to the pressing process of installing the pulley/dampening material.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote