View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #28
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Thumbs Up

We met with the company that is designing and building our carbon fiber hoods earlier this week. They brought a lot of great ideas. The drawings below are their conceptual ideas before they take it to CAD. I'd like to hear your freeback on these concepts below and the hood designs as I want to maximize the overall market for our hoods.

My Requirements
  • It MUST be AGRESSIVE!!
  • It MUST work for most E46's.
  • It MUST have strong internal webbing to support the attachment points to the rear hinges so the hood doesn't flex when you open and close it
  • It MUST have a super strong hood latch so that no hood pins are needed
  • It MUST have venting on both sides
  • It MUST be fade resistant
  • It MUST be blemish free so the hood can be run without paint
  • It MUST simply bolt on without modifications
  • Vents should be less wide but more of them
  • Vents should be in a location that doesn't affect the electronics
  • Hood should seal to the rubber strip at the top of the hood that seals in the electronics.
  • HPF Should be embossed on the underside of the hood in a clean manner that is noticeable if you look but doesn't stand out

Their Ideas
  • The aftermarket hoods on the market are simply a copy of the factory hood and can be better designed using the full capabilities of composites and re-designing the hood from scratch.
  • With the center section lowered and the webbing removed like it is on some aftermarket hoods, the torsional reinforcement is gone. This causes the fluttering of the hood in the back.
  • Torsion beams on the underside of the hood must tie the rear hinge points to the front hinge points. These designs are shown in the pictures below.
  • Core material should be designed into the hood to provide these torsion beams. This core material is extremely lightweight and provides extreme rigity.
  • Some hood designs below also add a structural reinforcement on top of the hood (the lip running from side to side) as well to make it extremely strong and also provide downforce.
  • Molded in vents should be produced in such a way that they are sharp and clear cut. Other aftermarket hoods have vents that have slow radiused curves into the vents which makes them look not as aggressive.
  • The sides of the hood should retain the original 4 rubber bump stops that allow the hood to lock in snugly against the body of the car.
  • The underside of the hood should be as amazing to look at as the top side. You can see separation between the top and bottom parts of the hood on many of these aftermarket hoods out there and as a result the hoods are not as strong. When the hood is designed as one composite piece you get an extremely strong hood that is very lightweight.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 08-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.