View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #43
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
How long have you had the car and how long have you been driving a manual?

I have 236 miles on my original clutch.

Something about the way you described your issue makes me think you're holding the clutch at the engagement point and giving it gas slowly so it doesn't stall...and that itself tells me that you should probably give it just a tad more gas and lift up clutch pedal sooner. Don't linger on the clutch.

Rattling like you describe sort of sounds like throwout bearing...but it could just be the clutch...maybe yours was replaced with a lightweight one by PO who wanted to drag race the car or something?

My guess, though, is that you need to get used to the clutch a bit more. No insult intended, btw. I've been driving manuals for almost 40 years, so I think everyone needs more practice! LOL

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
Got a 2001 330i which I love and adore. 85 000 Km (= about 53 700 Miles) on it, so not bad!
When in idle, if I depress the clutch, there's a distinct rattling/vibration just an inch or so from the floor.
When starting from a standstill, I really need to work the clutch, otherwise the car tends to stall or jump, as if it's not quite catching the power - I can't really "blast off" but have to ease off the clutch until I get some speed. This only applies to first gear though.
I sometimes get RPMs oscillating up and down, especially when in reverse, sometimes in idle.

Have tried to figure out what's causing this for a year, recently my shop had a new idea: Replacing the DMF + Clutch. It's a bit costly, so I just want to make sure that this is the most likely cause? Thanks in advance folks!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote