View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #31
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
oh I admit I did not catch that "!"
!(S54 + 330i = M3)

The ESS TS2 is a great kit. But let's put this all in perspective.
That's a $7,000 kit that takes 8-10hrs labor costs.
You mention the S54 having mostly top end. Its actually rather a steady powerband. It also has a 8,2000 rev limit which is nicer to wind out and stay in gears longer. The twin screw is low-mid(which is good on the M54). with that low end power how does it get it to the ground? that'Ps correct, not much "spanking" going to happen with that open diff doing peg leg spins. so add another $3K-$4k for a LSD and subframe re-inforcement. then depending on the system, you may need an oil cooler for the engine.
So you're ~$12,000 in to whatever the car is worth. that's not even talking about stronger transmission, drive axles and clutch.
I already mentioned the limited slip and subframe reinforcement. Tell me something I don't already know. Besides the M3 still needs a similar subframe reinforcement. The Technique Tuning turbo E46s will walk you/spank you/kill you unless you've got serious motor work. That doesn't make a Turbo 330 a better car, but the M3 is no clear victor either.

McSpeed reportedly repeatedly walked an E92 M3 up to 160+ with his turbo ZHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
There are reasons for and against, you and I both know that.

Both are expensive solutions with their own problems. Turning the M54 engine into an M3 killer isn't going to leave you with a reliable daily driver without serious modification and internal work.
Tell that to the people running the turbo kits. No internal work. The M3 is a nice car and a package, but it can be beaten. A ZHP turbo is around 395hp and 385 lb ft of torque without getting into the motor. Technique Tuning is killer. Go look it up.

The TS2+ and TT E46s with limited slips are looking at taking cars like the E90 M3 more than the E46 M3; bigger fish to fry.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote