View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #46
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
..I know most of the ins and outs of the E46 M3. Just because you made a certain decision does not make it the best one and certainly not the right one for everyone. That's the whole point I am making. Things are not black and white, they hardly ever are.
let me address this first. i completely agree.
i have many posts on the forum about which may or may not be the good choice for each person. people have different needs, expectations and things willing to give up for something wanting to gain. this is not to prove someone wrong, but rather the things i found stated to be "not exactly" correct. i enjoy the exchange in these threads (and the enlightenment) of those who have done much research.

Quote:
I misspoke about 450rwhp, it is 450hp. Which is far more than your engine puts out if it is N/A. It is close to 400hp without the head gasket change.
i'm still not sure that's correct. from their website the Stage 1 E46 330 is still only like 315Hp(+10 zhp). it's like a max boost of 8.5psi on 91 octane. http://www.techniquetuning.com/e46330turbo.html
*the other Stage 2 kits NEEDS the work on the engine (head gasket) to lower the compression so it can run the 13psi and minimum 93 Octane to achieve the much higher dyno numbers. so basically 315rwhp on a Turbo 330. my completely street legal, 50 state Smog Legal M3 does dynos at ~300 rwhp. So like my point was it's about the same yet the S54 still has so much room and not the ceiling the M54 does at this point. and completely street and smog legal which the Turbo is not.
Quote:
I am about to get a built LSD with the reinforcement from Maximum PSI
I have been in many FI E46s and have settled on TT when I have the time and the money to back the turbo. I have the money for the turbo now, but that's not close to enough.
i was not nagging on anyone for not having it. only that i have experience. i'm sure you can afford it.
as for the LSD, my non-M LSD was the unit from Turner Motorsports before they were too expensive for TMS even to carry. now they sell OS Giken.
Quote:
By the way, a supercharged 323 is not the equal of a turbocharged six speed 330, at all. You're right, the 323 runs out of options where the M's options begin.
Well although my car was not exhaust driven by the turbo, it was still the unit that Alpina uses and was a centrifugal compressor. but belt driven not exhaust driven for all the benefits.
6 speed is ultimately the same gearing with the exception of the last highway overdriven gear. the amount of boost one is willing to expose one's motor to is more the limiting factor. not so much the 2.5L. altho 2.8L, 3L are better internally.
Quote:
Compared to the M54, the S54 is way stronger, more advanced, and much, much heavier. Not disputable.
I have nothing but respect for the design of the S54 as a race born street motor, but because of that it has maintenance costs which I was and am not willing to assume at this point in my life. I have done thorough research to the effect that the TT 330 would not cost me as much to maintain. Not entry cost, maintenance cost.
I sold one ZHP and was seriously looking at E46 M3s, but because I am not at a settled point in my life, I decided the S54 was not worth its drama. Which it has. Being an S54 owner you have to know that- so don't deny it.
S54 isn't for everyone. it is certainly heavier, and the reason given to ensure it's longevity.
i can not agree the S54 is "drama" or that it's not worth it. but it's not (in it's stock form) as indestructible as the M54. but it's not as tempermental as a FI M54.
not to mention Being Illegal, which is something some states take seriously.which was a major deciding factor.