View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Dre325

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I dont think there is anything for the P0128 to do with AC. Erase the code and see if it returns. For AC, I cant give you much information but I am pretty sure that its not caused by the thermostat. You should get the AC checked by a qualified tech, our AC systems are known not to be messed with, with little knowledge.

Did you check the temp gauge after driving for sometime. Does it stay at the middle or slightly to the left?
If slightly left of the 12 o'clock position, classical case of open thermostat.
Change the thermostat first and see if it helps the AC issue too, I doubt it will but never hurts to try.

The only issue you will face with open thermostat is, the engine will never reach the optimal temperature, hence more fuel will be burnt. Result: a little decrement in MPG.
The P0128 code disappeared a few weeks ago and hasn't come back, but it's been warm here so that may be why. What I need feedback on is, based on my coolant temps I mentioned previously, are my coolant temps lower than normal and indicate a thermostat problem? My temp gauge is at 12 o'clock. No issues there and I've read this isn't a good indicator of an issue anyway.

I understand I could get this all checked out at a shop, but I'm trying to avoid that cost if there's something I can do to fix it myself, thus my post here.
Dre325 is offline   Reply With Quote