View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
All of the above ideas are good but I would also like to add that when I owned a house with a basement I dug a small, shallow trench from a low spot next to the house to the side of the yard to ensure that water flowed away from the house.

I also ended up putting a concrete pad (sidewalk) next to the house that was about 3 feet wide and no water would fall directly next to the house.

It might help to make sure you have those plastic window covers on you basement windows as well.

The last thing I did was build something like a French drain / beaver drain........it is called different things. But...I cut a hole in the basement floor and ran some plastic drain pipe/hose under the concrete. It is the kind with holes in it so water will enter and drain out. I placed a 'sock' over the pipe, covered it with sand and replaced the concrete. The hose ran to the sump pump and I ran pvc pipe from the sump pump to another pvc pipe outside which drained into the sewer line.

Never had another problem.

Dry Lok does not work. The only good it will do is seal the pores in the concrete block, but the moisture will be trapped between the dry lok and the concrete block. This is a potential mold problem.

The only way you can deal with a leaking basement is to deal with the source of the problem from the outside. Nothing you can do from the inside is going to be permanent. Mother Nature will always win.

There should be a building code that requires some kind of exterior drainage before a basement is approved. I bet it cost me 200 bucks in material and 1k in labor. Whereas, it would be much , much cheaper to do it right from the beginning with new construction.