E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Boost and Temp Gauge Install on ESS TS2

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BMANN405 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I am installing the defi racer gauges on my ESS TS2 tomorrow morning. I am hooking the boost gauge up to one of the two vacuum hoses on the intake manifold. I am connecting the oil temp gauge through the Ruff oil filter cap. I have 3 questions;

1. Does it matter which of the two vacuum hoses I connect the boost too as they are both not in use?EGR or Exhaust Flap Actuator?
2. It is a RHD car. Is the only entry from under the hood to the cabin of the car through the ECU box and is this the route I should take?
3. Last and most important question is. I am using the ATI gauge holder (the mickey mouse ears holder!). Is there any particular power supply wire behind this that you guys normally hook gauges up to or should I just borrow a voltmeter off a friend and go crazy?:p

Thanks in advance..

#2 ·
Hi Guys,
I am installing the defi racer gauges on my ESS TS2 tomorrow morning. I am hooking the boost gauge up to one of the two vacuum hoses on the intake manifold. I am connecting the oil temp gauge through the Ruff oil filter cap. I have 3 questions;

1. Does it matter which of the two vacuum hoses I connect the boost too as they are both not in use?EGR or Exhaust Flap Actuator?
2. It is a RHD car. Is the only entry from under the hood to the cabin of the car through the ECU box and is this the route I should take?
3. Last and most important question is. I am using the ATI gauge holder (the mickey mouse ears holder!). Is there any particular power supply wire behind this that you guys normally hook gauges up to or should I just borrow a voltmeter off a friend and go crazy?:p

Thanks in advance..
1. I would go off the exhaust flap , dunno about the EGR vacuum but if it comes off the manifold both should be fine.
2. You have rubber grommets in the "drug bin" that you can run wires through :)
3. Personally i use the HU power wire , i run it to a relay and then from the relay(which feeds 12v from the jump point under the hood) to the gauges.
The iginition wires are just below where you install the ATi gauge holder so you should be able to tap the switched 12v there.
Personally i like to run things through relays :)

#4 ·
Hey guys... Thanks for the response. I have them hooked up finally. They are hooked up throught the bin on the left hand side (when looking at the car from the front)

For the gauges I needed an ignition wire. a battery wire and a light up wire... Now when I took the cover off the steering wheel cover I found a few wires but all of them either used full battery power all the time or only when ignition...

So I went with the power from the ESS TS2 water pump as I knew that shut off when the car shuts off.. Every other connection stayed on when the car was tirned off....
Anyway I love it.. Although Irish Insurance is impossible....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.