E46 Fanatics Forum banner

having problems accelerating between 2k rpm and 2.5k rpm

5K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  ///Mark_D 
#1 · (Edited)
it seems to lag around this rpm range, the car will shake slightly like it's having difficulties getting out of that rpm range, i can feel it in the gas pedal,
what could it be?

thanks in advance

#6 ·
there is a line that goes from your secondary air system. it runs along the valve cover and to the back of engine right up against the firewall. follow that hose and make sure it didn't come off or is not dry-rotted. is the check engine light coming on? i had this problem with mine and that's all it was.

#8 ·
DISA can contribute to problems in the RPM range, however, not sure the DISA problems can be that obvious?

See the link in my signature below and read the DISA section - Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle.

I would be concerned that the DISA butteryfly is still tight on the actuator shaft and the vacuum diaphragm is not blown out.

VANOS O-rings could contribute, but this is a more major repair and does not happen overnight.

When was the last fuel filter change?

Any engine trouble codes?

#10 · (Edited)
just went to my mechanic, no obd ii error codes.
He didn't which line this was "there is a line that goes from your secondary air system. "
the shaking/ stall in acceleration only occurs usually on takeoff or very low rpms.

I bought a fuel injection cleaner and filled the gas tank with it and it fixed the problem temporarily, but after filling up with a new tank of gas the problem came back, could this be a sign that i need to change the fuel filter?

Any other suggestions before I go back to him?

#12 ·
2nd this. After some recent maintenance, my car would stall if I gave it just a little throttle. But if I gave it a normal amount of throttle, it would take forever to get to 3k RPMs. Once it got to 3k RPMs, it felt fine.

Turns out my Intake Camshaft Position Sensor was faulty. I did get an OBD-II code for it eventually, but the SES light never lit. Replaced the sensor and she's good as new. No stalling, pulls from idle to redline just fine now.

HTH.

#21 ·
Hmm... the stalling from R->D is throwing me off a bit, but the hesitation upon acceleration within those RPMs pointed turned out to be deteriorating oxygen sensors for me. Did you have those done or has your fuel mileage gone down recently? Mine were swapped between Bank 1 and Bank 2, yet no Check Engine Light. The car felt extremely sluggish within those RPM, just as you described.

Stalling at idle usually points to a bad ICV as indicated in post #20.

#24 ·
Good luck. Hopefully you can narrow this down without unnecessarily throwing random new parts/$$$ at it.

#27 ·
I was having the same hesitation issues between 2700 - 3000 rpm. At one point I got an oxygen out of range code and was told by the dealer that the stock ECU programming has too narrow of a range of values and the ECU will cut power to keep the emissions in check. The O2 sensor itself checked out OK. I didn't want to pay the money to reprogram the ECU to the updated software so I lived with the hesitation issue for 6 months. Finally yesterday I took the car in and had them update the ECU programming and the problem with the hesitation was solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.