View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #44
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
D is regular driving mode. S is a sport mode where it revs higher before it shifts. Both D and S, the car shifts for you. In M mode (M1, M2, M3, M4, M5), you push the lever to indicate when you want to shift, so in theory it gives you more control.

My issue is that when in M, it doesn't shift as quickly as you want it to so you have to actually "shift" earlier than you would and then the car responds. Also, eventually, if you don't shift in M mode, the car will shift for you to not over-rev the engine.

I'd be a much bigger fan of STEP if the shifts in M mode were more crisp. One thing it does give you is the downshift when wanting extra oomph to pass, for instance. But, that's a whole different topic and I don't want to detract from the original post.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer the question, I mostly drive in S mode, except for those few times I'm downshifting (which automatically makes it M mode) for passing power. I eventually go back to S mode.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 09-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote