View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #68
My Ride: 325Ci
Another steptronic owner here.
I am happy with my choice of getting a steptronic(auto) for a DD. When I need passing power I just downshift in manual mode.

If it was a weekend or a track car, I would take a manual over automatic, just because you need that control on the track. But for a daily driver to be driving in a bumper to bumper traffic, I will take a steptronic over manual anyday.

May be I will put the sprint booster v2 in sometime to get rid of the lag in D mode in future. Yah, I am going to rig the center console with the M's sport button for the sprint booster setting.

If I were to buy a new M, it'd be a double clutch system. Not that I am lazy, but I like the precision of the shift and not having to shift myself when my other hand is busy doing some better things.

Dont get me wrong, I know how to drive a manual, in fact I learnt how to drive in a 4 speed manual toyota tercel and all my life I have driven motorcycles. So, I know the advantages and disadvantages of manual transmission.

With the advancement in the technology the automatics/steptronics have gone really far ahead of manuals. Imagine shifting 7-8 gears in a manual which they have now in the automatics in your everyday driving. The computer knows better than our brain to keep the engine in the optimum revs.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote