View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
You're getting the vibration ONLY under braking? Strut bearings should be replaced anyway when you do the struts. Any obvious play in them when unloaded and you move the strut assembly with your hand? And what brand rotors, control arms, bushings, pads? When you removed your wheels, did you sand and clean all wheel to hub mounting surfaces? I could go on and on but lets start with what parts you have and when/how you're experiencing the vibrations
No obvious movement using hand only, but I don't trust that. Brembos, ZHP arms, Lemforder bushings, OEM pads. Wheel hubs have been cleaned througly before putting new rotors on.

However, I am running with one less wheel nut on the driver's side. Apparently some incompetent mechanic was able to strip the threads. Not sure if this would cause a vibration though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Ball joints are good then, but actually check out the tie rods to eliminate that. All cars are not the same, nor exist in the same environment.

It is not strange to get tires balanced, yet they are still out of balance. Can you swap the rears with the fronts? Staggered for you?

Find out how to check strut mounts and check them too. Gotta start eliminating things. (how do you check strut mounts on the car? disconnect the lower end and try to wiggle?)
Next time I'm under the car for suspension work, it will be for new struts/mounts and tie-rods. The vibration doesn't bother me that much to do the suspension work in the near future.

Square setup 225/45/17's all around. Already rotated rears and fronts. No difference.

As far as I'm concerned, the correct way to check the strut mounts is when they are out of the car. I guess, they'll have to wait.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote