View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Tony3series

My Ride: 2003 325Ci (5-speed)
Rebuilt shifter using ECS Teflon bushing kit and have horrible side to side slop!

I just rebuilt my shifter using this DIY (which was an awesome DIY by the way) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=shifter

Instead of using the OEM "Shifter Idler Arm Trans Mount Bushing" I installed the ECS 'Teflon Shifter Bushing Kit - Round ES#259532' http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...fter/ES259532/.

The Teflon shifter bushings allow so much side to side movement of the shifter arm I can't even believe it? The thing just slides back and forth. It's like I received the wrong parts or something? I would need thick washers of some sort on each side of the bushings to get rid of the side to side slop created after installing these.

I couldn't leave my car down for several days to address the issue so I continued with the install hoping it wouldn't feel so bad to drive it. Even with all the other parts refreshed the shifts are crap. Still lots of slop in the shifter and its hard to find gears. Not smooth at all.

I'm not sure if I received the wrong part, or if this has been a problem in the past but I'm hoping you guys can help? Has anyone had this problem after installing the teflon bushings? How'd you fix it? The bushings would need to be significantly thicker to address the problem.

I emailed ECS just a few minutes ago but it's the weekend so I figured I'd post here to see if anyone has any insight?
2003 BMW 325ci: Sport package, F1 Racing Stage II clutch/lightweight flywheel, AFE intake, Ebay headers,KONI YELLOWS/new mounts, Beisan Vanos seals, angel eyes, CDV delete, Curt trailer hitch, LED tails, lip spoiler, blacked out grill&trim&bumper reflectors. Tons of maintenance items done.
Tony3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.