View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #91
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridNz View Post
Each of those lines and the end byte is an XOR checksum calculation.
Yeah I realized that much later on. The whole thing is actually just in the "Intel Hex" format... though there are a couple non-standard headers found towards the end of the file IIRC. Still, after realizing that, it was trivial to just convert these into straight binaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzP View Post
Hello. I am new to this forum and this will be my first post.
Regarding the topic, flashing modified sp-daten file to the dme with winkfp.
I doubt this is possible with success. I have looked alot to this possibility in the last months. I have even been in contact with EVC in Germany regarding this since I already have a fully licensed WinOLS. It is correct that WinOLS recognise these files, but the problem are the checksum calculation. I have several checksums plug-ins in my WinOLS, and when I open a file which I have the correct chk.sum plug-in to, it recognise the file, but says that the chk.sum are incorrect and want to correct it even though it obviously are correct. The winkfp program can be configurated to not test the checksum, and I assume it will actually make the programming, but as I say, I doubt it will be success in make the engine start. I know that WinOLS have plug-ins for correcting checksum in update-files from manufacturer to Jaguar/Ford/Volvo, and such plug-in could be nice to have also for BMW. See link from EVC. http://www.evc.de/en/product/ols/import.asp
Have you tried flashing a tune with WinKFP, dumping the binary from the DME, and then comparing? If WinKFP "changes" the checksum during the flashing process, we should see it then. Otherwise I would hazard that WinOLS isn't parsing the ihex format properly (perhaps the non standard bit at the end confuses it). Converting to binary beforehand and then loading it may be sufficient. I cannot really test any further since I don't have a licensed copy of WinOLS

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 09-10-2012 at 01:19 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote