View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #101
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
Pull ups: 5x3 I suck more than Dyllos
I used to be only able to do 2-3 pullups, the following worked for me (just some tips if you are looking to improve)

- Heavy deadlifts, 2 to 3 sets of 5 reps minimum. After a set you should have to sit down to catch your breath, 3-4 minutes of rest. That kinda heavy, just make sure you are comfortable with your form.

- Losing weight (I lost roughly 20 lbs of fat from when I could only do 2-3 so obviously that was a big benefit)

- Assisted Wide Grip Pullups... I did these every back day as my first exercise, 3 sets of 8 reps. Always looking to lower the weight, eventually you'll be able to get 8 wide grips without assistance, but after that it drops off significantly. Having the assisted machine helps greatly with ensuring form is perfect and you are hitting lats hard.

I'm finally at the point where I feel my regular pullups are making me stronger, I can bang off 3 x 8 without assistance so I've incorporated them into workouts. Next goal is to get 3 x 8 of wide grip... I'm awhile away from this I think I get 8 then it drops to 2-3 max the next set.

Last edited by dabears; 09-13-2012 at 02:12 PM.
dabears is online now   Reply With Quote