View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #45
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I had a Jeep Cherokee before the Landcruiser. That felt like an SUV and had a lot of body motion if you made quick steering inputs. The Landcruiser was much more stable and had stiffer dampers that made the car much more stable on the street, but still had a lot of steering slop just like most SUVs. Going off-road a few times, the car gets to be at pretty crazy angles and does just fine as well. I even managed to get all four wheels spinning with the Landcruiser in the rain trying to do a drift, and once it caught traction, it didn't snap back violently, which I've even felt some sedans do.

I always drove the Landcruiser like it was a big tall SUV though.
I had the exact opposite experience with Toyota and deem the X5 to be 85% as reliable, 100% as capable off-road, and 150% better at on-road driving.

If you rid the pressurized cooling system with waterless coolant + a different BAR cap, and the engine isn't near 100K on the same seals & timing chain guides, you're more than golden.

I post these same 2 videos all the time

These are standard crap tires on a very steep slope. It may not look that way in the video but it's steep and slippery. I've had a hard time getting a lifted 1500 Silverado on muds getting up a dry slope at equal grade

These are low pro tires wading through a river with the water level reaching the intake

With a little work the X5 can pretty much go anywhere, however I'm not sure about how good the rear bumper clearance is.

I get Top Gear makes Toyota seem "unstoppable", and I do know the mid to late 80's 4Runners ARE one of the best off-road platforms you can have, but it's so funny to see how much people understate the extreme testing BMW puts into the X5... It's not just a lifted 5 series with an SUV shell.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote