View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #13
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
After the wire has been stripped, take the wire that you will be attaching to it, and wrap it around the wire in a manner that keeps it flat and straight
[IMG][/IMG]

A trigger style soldering iron works best. It gets hot/cold really fast. Heat up the wire, then feed the solder.
[IMG][/IMG]

All soldered up
[IMG][/IMG]

I like to use 2 types of electrical tape. The yellow one is the expensive, ($4 a roll) nice and pliable tape. We use this to tape up our solder points. The white one is .46 cents a roll and is used to wrap up our wire to match the factory looming.
[IMG][/IMG]

You only need a tiny amount of tape to wrap of the solder points.
[IMG][/IMG]

All wrapped up
[IMG][/IMG]

Now wrap up the rest of the wire with the inexpensive tape to match the factory loom. Some vehicles us actual loom, and some use electrical tape, the e46 uses electrical tape to wrap up their wire harnesses, so we will do the same to match and try to look OEM. Lets run the wire through the boot/nipple.
[IMG][/IMG]

A view from the inside.
[IMG][/IMG]

Now on to the siren. Like I said, I only did a step by step for the first connection, all others will be made in the same fashion.
[IMG][/IMG]

We will be using the other nipple to run our siren twin lead inside the cabin.
[IMG][/IMG]

Next is the impact sensor. It is a plug and play unit, not soldering required. I don't really rely on these to much, but I still like to use them. When mounting them, make sure to mount them to a wiring harness or something that flexes. For some reason these guys don't work that well when they are mounted to a solid surface. I have been told this by many DEI reps/techs, and have confirmed it myself. Here I mounted mine on the main wiring harness right behind the fuse panel.
[IMG][/IMG]

Lastly the valet switch. You can mount this little sucker wherever you can fit it. It used to be that you needed to make it as stealth as possible and hide the sh@t out of it. But nowadays you can program the valet switch to have a pin number. So even if a would be thief had your key (Not remote!) and found your valet switch, without the pin, they cannot put the alarm in valet mode. I put mine next to my lighter.
[IMG][/IMG]

Ideally you don't want to mount the main unit of the remote start/alarm under the steering column, but at times you don't have much choice without a lot of extra effort. Luckily the e46 has some great little compartments right behind the glove, and right next to the general module. This is where I will be mounting my alarm. So I ran all my wires to that area.
[IMG][/IMG]

So this is as far as I got today. I will be at it again tomorrow.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote