View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #19
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
[IMG][/IMG]Typically we would use the ring from the 556u to send our signal to the ignition switch. [IMG][/IMG]

However, the factory transponder ring is made and mounted in such a manner that using the aftermarket transponder ring is not really feasible.
[IMG][/IMG]

In order for the ring from the 556uw to work properly, it MUST be mounted in FRONT of the factory transponder ring. NOT on top or behind. Well, the way this is set up makes that virtually impossible.All that black housing is the factory transponder ring. So as you can see, we have no room or spot to mount the aftermarket ring. [IMG][/IMG]

Lucky for us, the 556uw has more than one wiring method. Read the instructions, and they will walk you through it, but basically you cut the factory wire from the transponder ring and wire up the harness from the aftermarket transponder ring in such a manner as to make a loop from within the module box with the key in it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the finished connections.
[IMG][/IMG]

Now all taped up and hidden.
[IMG][/IMG]

Now that we have made our connections, it is time to run them to the passenger side of the vehicle. Remember, keep them hidden and ran along side factory harnesses.
[IMG][/IMG]

Once you get the wires over by the center console/back of radio area, you will want to run them through the back of the console. There is the factory main wiring harness that runs throught there, just fish your wires through there. It is a little tricky, but there is enough room.
[IMG][/IMG]

typically this is something you would most likely see if you ever inspected an average alarm installation. Thieves go straight for the steering column to disable alarms.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is what we see in our installation.
[IMG][/IMG]
Looks completely OEM, as if it was never tampered with.

For the most part, alarms are tied into the vehicles parking lights. That is done for visual confirmation of arm/disarm. Also, they flash or stay lit when the vehicle is remote started. The parking light circuit in the e46 is run by a multiplex wire (mux) so we can't just tap into it. There is a method for successfully tapping into this circuit, but I still stay away from it. Here is the reason. Whenever you turn on your parking lights, the autolevel feature of the headlights activates. Well, everytime you arm/disarm and remote start the vehicle, the parking lights flash. To me, that seems like a lot of unecessary abuse of the autolevel function. Here is where you would tap into the parking lights.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I prefer to tap into the fog lights. They work better for entry and exit illumination, and they don't activate the autolevel feature when turned on. We can't run it through the lighting module at the headlight switch, since that wire is mux as well. So we find the factory relay that they are powered off of and tap into them there. The relay is above the general module, right by the fuse panel. We drop our general module and alarm compartments down to access the relay.
[IMG][/IMG]

Remove the relay and relay socket and we want to tap the yellow/brown wires in the back (pin #87 from the relay).
[IMG][/IMG]

In order to drop this panel, you must remove this plastic bolt. The hinges are just pressure fit so you can pull the panel down.
[IMG][/IMG]

So that is all for today. Hopefully tomorrow I will finish this bad boy up.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote