View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #3241
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by egruber View Post
Maybe you can help with this one. I have a 2001 e46 convertible with the sand interior. I was cleaning the vinyl around the seat belt holders (on the top of the front seats) and around the door speakers. I noticed that my cloth was stained the sand color, and the surface of the vinyl was sticky when it dried. I used Vinylex. The more I applied it, the more color came off and the surface remained sticky when dry. Any idea why it does this? And how do I clean it so it isn't sticky?

I also wanted to add that being a convertible, the interior traps a lot of soot from the highways I take to work. It gets into all the nook and crannies. Vinylex and the various leather cleaners I have tried don't seem to do very much as far as cleaning, and the sheen they leave behind attracts the dirt even faster. How do the dealers get the leather/vinyl in these cars so clean?
Another forum member asked a somewhat similar question so I'll borrow some of my response from the message I posted for him. I use to carry the Vinylex product years ago but I dropped it, I just didn't think it was performing at a high level. It looked nice but too greasy and oily for my liking and it may not provide the best long term care for the interior. I personally use the Leatherique combo over the Lexol products and Vinylex. It does a better job of cleaning and conditioning the surface in my experience so you don't need to scrub so much. When you wipe off the excess product you should only be using light pressure with a clean/soft microfiber towel (ie DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel). Don't underestimate the importance of a good microfiber towel, they are integral in my experience. You can see how the Leatherique products are used in the detailing guide or our Ask a Pro Detailer Blog.

For the doors, dashboard, doors, console, carpets, fabrics, etc. I'm a big fan of the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. It's a highly effective product that should help you clean quicker and with less scrubbing.

I hope this info helps!

Greg @ DI
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote