View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
The Evolution of Nanners (e46 ///M3)

First let me start off by saying that I, like many others have been hypnotized by the Motorsport Division of BMW. The first time i ever saw an E46 ///M3 roar by me, in my mothers car. I was maybe 13? I was hypnotized, not by the sound, the lines/body or the ego the driver had of himself. But by the color, it was LSB. It ran under the shade of an overhanging tree, I triple glanced at it and i will never forget how many different colors i saw within the few takes of the car. It was... beautiful. He stomped it and disappeared through the traffic. That memory will be instilled in me forever. Now, i have always supported my car habits. I am currently 20 working a full time job @ 17$Hr. So i could be doing worse....but it supports my sickness of modifying my cars. Before the hate ensues, ive paid my dues...And well, still do thanks to this car payment.. Almost paid off though!

First truck was a ford ranger....ugh.

Second vehicle bought brand spankin' new after highschool. Spent thousands modifying this truck. Even traveled over half of the country to obtain these wheels.

Fast forward two years later, i saw yet again an e46 M3 (they really arent around these parts!) You know when you hear a song and it brings back the same feelings/memories you had when you initially listed to it?, doing whatever you were doing. Seeing another LSB just brought back the desire. I made up my mind, put my truck up for sale. Sold it for 17k the day after i put it on auto trader.

Didn't have a car for about 4 months while looking for a "rare" color which is subjective, yes.... I dreaded the thought of having an SMG (no disrespect!) And the though of having a Tiag. It was so unbelievably hard to meet these seemingly easy standards. Met up with a younger guy (my age) around the 5 month mark to see a 2002 PY , beforehand i had traveled to PA to see a LSB...which was in outright terrible condition for 23k :screwy:

Anyways the PY (2002, Cold weather package, NAV, Nappa Leather)....well, needed work. A trailer backed into the hood. making a nice dent in between the kidneys. Other random paint chips and spider cracks in the paint on the rear bumper. All bushings were toast. Needed a valve adjustment. All fluids. Normal maintenance for a car approaching 90k. Needless to say the car had been mistreated. So i walked. He buckled the price time and time again until i decided to undertake the project of resurrecting/restoring the car. The color was....meh..unique. As time goes on. It grows on you like cancer, i probably wouldn't choose another color of the E46 after owning this. Its such a chameleon, people always asking me if it was an OEM color. "Is dat **** lime green!?!?!" It does look green under lighting at night....anyways

The day i picked it up (happy camper)

After a week of ownership.....misfire. Replaced all coil packs/spark plugs/air filter and the engine oil/filter.....Misfire fixed, however it would hesitate at 4k RPM's. New MAF sensor fixed that. Sadly i did not take pictures of the last 3 months worth of work...which is extensive, considering my clutch went, so here is the list ive compiled on my phone (some mods, some maintenance):

VCG kit from Tischer
Valve adjustment at 95k
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
LUK clutch
LUK pressure plate
Resurfaced flywheel
Clutch spring
Clutch fork
Pivot pin
6 new coil packs
6 new spark plugs
BOSH OEM battery
Wiper blades
Clutch arm bushing
Trans fluid
Diff fluid
CDV
CPV o ring
Cleaned ITBS (God damn were they bad....)
new MAF
RSMS
Air filter
Bmw Short shifter kit
Khoalty Halos
55 w 5k low HIDS
55w 3k fog HIDS
M floor mats
LED corners
Yellow drl light bowls
LED tag lights
CF interior wrap
CF roundels
Headlight Slightly Tinted Laminex (Still iffy)
Smoked markers/Corner lights
Monochrome badges
M-Stiched Shift and e brake boot
Tein springs (Hate them)
Rear Sagging Bumper clips
Realigned Front Bumper (Was Sagging)

Although i don't have pics of all of the things ive replaced. Here are the ones i have at the moment.

Before everything!

Blacked out reflectors....will get them color matched again soon. They came on the car but they were chewed up!

Member Dafoe helping me with my Valve Adjustment! All Cam sprocket bolts tight! :thumbsup2:

Halos, HID's, Laminex (This is Pre Bumper Alignment) See the dent in the hood? You can see ive hit it with touch up paint and a few other rock chips around the car.

You can slightly see the yellow'd DRL bowls through the laminex..which im still on the fence about

CF interior wrap, SSK, CF Roundals

Everything has since been changed to monochrome or black/silver CF badges. Its the little stuff that matters

She looks like she got hit in the face with a shovel...

Plastidipped the wheels to ensure i would like the look without scuffing the original finish...Also blacked out side markers

Although this thread is mainly focusing around maintenance. That's how its supposed to be at first (at least when saving a car from imminent death from the PO) Once i get her in perfect operating condition. I will be dumping my money into aesthetic/performance mods.

And here is how she sits today. Reliable, beautiful and begging me to get off work! I am personally very proud of how far this car has come in such a short time. I will update this thread frequently. Be on the look out for all future mods! Thanks for looking :hattip:

Bumpers realigned/fixed....biggest petpeve...besides the hood.

2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

Last edited by ChrisRedmon; 02-22-2013 at 12:55 PM.
ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.