View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
sfcjetjr

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Hey R.R. I redid the cups with spray on undercoating to thicken the walls of the cups to push more sound out of the top instead of it escaping thru the cheap cups. Can use any kind like at auto parts store. Cost 5$. Batting material is from Walmart. Comes in a roll 81" x 96". Real cheap but will do the job. Pull out enough to pull apart a little it increase air pockets in the layers and fill about 1/2 full. I used the stock mounting brackets, cut off the baskets at the circle frame and used clear silicone to seal and air gaps between mounting plates and cups. Cups should slide up into the bottom of the circle frame on the bottom. If yours where like mine the cups were jus sitting in the hole. So all kinds of air and sound was escaping every where. Goal is to restore to better than factory air tightness. Once I set speakers onto top of ring, making sure centered a touch of silicone around bottom of speaker rim touching ring then screw through speaker mount holes into the plastic mounting ring. Look around the mating surfaces for any holes or gaps and seal with silicone as well. Air tight and ready to get really good response. Don't forget the batting before sealing them up! Good luck!
sfcjetjr is offline   Reply With Quote