View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
doverby

You still have the subframe to support the engine on the engine mount bracket. Its been awhile since I did my clutch but if I recall you can get to the top of the left and right engine mounts from above with a long extension, just a couple of bolts. Once the bolts are removed use a floor jack with a wood block to protect the engine and lift the engine slightly to remove the drivers side mount. Its a B%^ch to get out but it should come with a little prying. Leave the passenger side in place. Lower the engine and trany and you will find that the engine will drop a few inches giving you better access to the trany bolts and better clearance to remove trany from the tunnel. I may have repositioned the floor jack to push up on the engine in the front to rock the back down slightly. Just go easy with the jack and don't push too hard. There is also a closeoff plate below the fresh air intake that I removed that gave me better acces to the top bolts on the trany and allowed the engine and trany to rock back a little further.

Once the trany is out it is also a good time to replace the vacuum lines at the back of the engine. Don't forget the main engine seal and pilot bearing