View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #21
eaks

My Ride: 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
I agree with the general consensus of conclusions in this thread.

One question:
Someone said, you cant MAKE a regular high performance car IN to a supercar. There is a lot of merit to that statement. Yet I always wondered...

HPF had a TON of money dumped in that Pearl White Asuka wide body stage 4. Does anybody think that particular car might be an EXCEPTION and qualify as a Supercar? It was terrifically Expensive, had incredible power, exclusivity and bordered on what you would call "exotic". Some hated the look actually, but it still had an exotic flare to it. The pearl white paint was an eye catcher too.
I never referred to it as a "Supercar" but often wondered if it would pass as one.
I guess I will finally find out what everyone thinks about it in this thread. Doesn't matter to me. But I am glad someone finally came out and asked the question.

And dont some cars LOOSE their Supercar status? Take the Ferrari 348 or the Testarossa Those cars dont have all that much power and acceleration today as many medium level sport cars or muscle cars. They were considered Supercars in their day. Will that moniker follow them until eternity? Maybe. I dont know for sure. What do you guys think? I guess you could say "I own an 80's or 90's Supercar." I suppose that would work.

So far, the only times I use "HPF" and "Supercar" in the same sentence: "That HPF Stage 3 BMW M3 will beat almost any unmodified Supercar on the road today, with a few exceptions."
Exactly.. And to answer your question I believe the wide body Asuka is not a supercar.. Not to the same extent but anyone can kit a Pontiac Fiero to look just like a lambo.. I am sure you can even on top of that drop in a V12 engine.. This does not make it a supercar.. I think it takes everything to make it a supercar and it needs to come that way stock. A supercar is more a car you buy to drive for people to look at you. The original design of a supercar is that of balance, everything is designed to work together exactly how they want. They sell a 600+ horsepower monster that is perfectly tuned suspension wise and everything straight from the factory (although the ZR-1 vette I also would not consider a supercar even though it meets what I am saying above). I guess it really just comes from how each person looks at it and their own beliefs. I do not consider either of the R8s a supercar. I do however consider them both exotics.

Really hard to say but I know when I see something if I consider it a supercar.

This is a supercar:
eaks is offline   Reply With Quote