View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #21
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM Distributing View Post
Yes, any aftermarket sport spring with a more aggressive spring rate than your stock springs can certainly blow your OEM dampers (dependent upon a few factors). Obviously the type of spring you're running (i.e. a mild Eibach Pro-Kit vs. H&R Race) will determine how fast, or if at all, your shocks decide to go. In addition, the mileage and condition of your stock shock, as well as how you drive, will always factor in to these things. Fact is, your stock shocks' valving just isn't equipped to handle that of an aftermarket performance spring. Are there thousands upon thousands of cars running the street today with aftermarket lowering springs mated to stock shocks? Yes, there are; tons and tons of them. Just give it some time, though; they'll eventually (with time) start to feel harsh and the ride start to get worse and worse. Obviously if you put a set of performance springs on a new car (or one with low mileage), your window of opportunity to drive on it like that is much bigger.
Best answer so far. OP, this is the definitive answer you were looking for. Also remember that a heavier wheel and tire combo will wear your shocks quicker, too.