10-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springfield OH
My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
| Thanks guys.
Progress from tonight. Started off with some exploratory surgery on the rear driver side fender lip. Before making up the trunk floor, I want to use the extra space and access the void gives me to make the necessary cuts for the fender flares. This involves taking out ~2 inches of the outer fender lip and then splicing the new edge into the inner fender. This will also let me see if there is any rust hiding in the inner body that I couldn't see before.
First I transferred the mounting holes for the fender flare so I knew where the cut would go. I left ~ 3/4" of material from the mounting holes, which should be plenty.
Then I trimmed out the lip. Here you can see the inner fender material and the edge that will be spliced into it.
With the fender trimmed, I am happy to say that the rusty parts of the inner fender lip were on the parts I cut out, so after some final trimming the splices should go fairly easily. With that done I decided to move away from the chassis work for a little bit.
Tis the season:
Next I moved to reinforcing the transmission and engine mounts I made earlier. First up was the transmission mount.
Here's the top side after cleaning up all the welds. Once it's powdercoated it will resemble a stock stamped piece:
And this is the underside as I left it before:
While this would be fine for a stock M10 setup, I wasn't really happy with it for my goals. Likewise, I wanted to avoid partially boxing it due to the possibility of trapping water on the inside. So I decided to use some of my 0.75" tubing and triangulate the inner walls. This should add the needed rigidity while letting it dry easily.
Moving on to the engine mounts, I wanted to add some internal bracing before fully boxing them in. To keep weight down I made them out of a thinner gauge, so the bracing will let me keep the strength while having a lower weight of a similar piece made from heavier material (such as my first generation of mounts).
Here's how they looked from earlier:
Some flat stock later and this is how they looked when I finished tonight:
Tomorrow I'll finish boxing the engine mounts, once done they will look like a solid piece of tubing with the bracing completely hidden. Then it's on to the other fender lip and more bodywork.
Thanks for looking.