Thread: tire rotation
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
I agree that BMW does recommend NOT rotating the tires due to the outer edges of the front tires and the inner edges of the rear tires wearing first due to the suspension geometry, but if you rotate tires every 5,000 to 10,000 miles, you will move them before this wear really takes affect, especially if you rotate them every 5,000 miles. By doing so you will greatly increase the tread life of your tires, and most tire manufacturers and tire dealers recommend it for extended tread life. Direction Radials should ONLY be rotated front to back on the same side. And I was taught, when radials first started becoming available, that you only rotate any radial on the same side of the car from front to back and visa versa, NOT using the "X" rotation pattern of the old bias ply-non radial tires. That said, if you run an un-square tire/wheel set up, you can not rotate them. I would still tend to disagree with putting the "newest/tires with the most tread" on the rear. The front end needs more traction for stability, cornering traction, steering control than the rear. Bald/half tread life tires up front and tires with more than half tread life on the rear makes for a car that will not steer very well, corner quickly, or corner safely at speed because of the reduced traction, plus less control in wet driving conditions and more prone to the front end hydro-planing.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote