View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #60
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk56 View Post
Many of the cars listed are not available in the US at all. Moreover, while lap times around the Top Gear test track are interesting, they are only instructive regarding which cars are best set up to exploit that particular track, which is not a "high speed" track. Hell's bells, the VW GTI went around faster than the Aston Martin Vanquish! Must be a better car, no? I wonder which one would be faster around the Nurburgring, which has every type of on and off-camber turn, rises and drops, and high-speed sections.
Most of the ones I listed are obtainable in the US. The reason I use the Top Gear track is because it is the same driver, stock vehicle, same track where Nurburgring tests are skewed because they have different drivers between cars, different start points, and often times safety bits like roll carges are added which increase stiffness. At the same time parts are also stripped out to reduce weight. A good example was when Subaru broke the record for a "stock 4 door" when they reduced weight, turned up the turbo, swapped out suspension, ect.

As far as the Nurburgring is concerned though, the STi did end up beating the Austin Martin DBS and the Vantage (V8). The Boxter S and 2010 Camaro SS both beat out the e46 M3. The wiki page didn't have a time for the Vanquish. The 350z was 4 seconds behind the M3, no time listed for the 370z.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote