View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #79
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I would call anyone doing robotics work for NASA a scientist.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
No, but is the language of science. We wouldn't have one without the other.
Not agreed with the bolded statement. Newton's "Principia" did not involve much math. It we didn't have the language of math (sounds like you asked your professors and know that is a language now), we would simply use, wait for it, "English" instead. It would make things a little tougher to "communicate", but we could have definitely done it.

Another example: Einstein was not aware of tensor algebra when he came up with his special/general theories of relativity. He then found that his ideas are better represented with tensor algebra, so he went ahead and used it. See, existence of math was not initially required for our understanding of nature in the case of objects moving with a velocity close to that of light, or in the case of massive objects with masses a few times that of the sun.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against math, in fact I love it. In academia, mathematicians are fully aware of that math is a language. Don't know why it is so hard for most people to accept the fact that it is not science. It's not like I'm insulting them or anything, just laying out the truth

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 10-04-2012 at 11:34 AM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote