View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #39
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Nonetheless, it seems a bit counterintuitive to make something that is required to withstand high pressures for years out of plastic. I think the fact that mishimoto managed to make an aluminum radiator/expansion tank combination is proof that there were alternative options
Unfortunately, we were at the tip of the spear in the drive to design a sealed plastic tank. Every car ends up with one part that is its weak spot, it's Achiles heel. The ET will be that part for our car.
The problem with this thing is that it is so devilishly complicated inside. The fact that they had to assemble parts inside of there should have pushed towards an aliminum canister, but there was probably a management directive that it be made out of plastic. See my other post where I mention a sealant vendor that oversold their products capabilities. If they worked their way into upper management, possibly eating the labor costs themselves to get the chance to use their bonding process, then engineering may have had no chance.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote