View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #11
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
He said the mobo has power...
Power on Self Test is NOT the same thing as standby power to the board. You don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
braymond is describing a scenario in which the mobo has no power (issues which faulty CPU, memory, etc. cannot cause.) His mobo is lighting up, so these are still very much a probability.
That is not what I said. What I wrote is correct and applicable to this issue. I was specifically calling you out for incorrect diagnoses from your post referencing CPU, and RAM. These items do not cause a system to not POWER ON, meaning come out of standby power, they are what prevent the computer from completing the POST. You will still get a flicker on of power then immediate system off if the CPU is physically damaged, sometimes the caps will sizzle and smoke.

Standby Power
Power On

These are all different things. The OP is not getting power on, just standby power. When he says NOTHING happens, that means nothing turns to on. No fans, no lights, nothing... just standby power stuck. See the difference? If the OP has some type of power on (a standy power LED is NOT power on), THEN these components need to be checked.

Last edited by braymond141; 10-05-2012 at 02:18 AM.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote