View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Do not go Stage 3...get the FIC1100's...pretty much the same thing without the stupid price...and you could add a fuel surge tank from radium with two pumps for the perfect setup. 6766 + OEM Exhaust; Cutout and Open Dump is probably the perfect combination...Sleeves not needed imo. If anyone wants a 4" HPF exhaust with race resonators PM me and we can arrange something
+1 to no sleeves! It's too bleeding edge for anything that's not a garage queen or a car that is part of a race team prepared to swap motors. I don't believe the stage 3 kit even requires sleeves. It's an option that reduces displacement (and power) with the intention of thickening the walls between cylinders because of fears that the head gasket may fail at those points.

IMO It's just another thing that can give problems (if they move). The S54 with the L19's over-torqued has addressed the gasket issue; there haven't been any members complaining about blown head gaskets or heads lifting with that setup.

Adding sleeves, which will weaken the block (side effect of the extensive over-boring requirements to insert the sleeves), and the L19's and the extra torquing and you have a recipe for unwanted headache possibilities [in cylinder #5]! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=174)

So why try to solve a problem (thinner walls between cylinders) before you can even confirm it's actually a problem? Enjoy the 3.4 displacement and the extra power that can be had with a setup that hasn't proven to be anything but reliable.