View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #12754
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325CiMaN View Post
A digital multi meter aka dmm is a tool to test volts, ohms (resistance), and amps. The snap on one i bought is specifically made for automotive world, it can be hooked up to a lap top and it has a ociloscope, aka oscope. Which helps out diagnosing sensors, intermittent issues, it gives you the wave form of the sensor/actuator and you can watch wave form and compare to a known good sensor, or a known good wave form, and determine what is wrong. On my moms m3 i used it diagnose a intermittent missfire, i checked the coils, i noticed when the coil reaches a temperature of 230 or higher it misses until it cools back down below 230. It's an amazing tool i think everyone should have one and learn how to use it.

Are you testing for ohms with power applied or not? Cause with it applied it it isn't accurate, and a good wire, doesn't Matter if it's positive or negative or signal, should have low ohms like .001-.002ohms.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
The ground for the circuit was disconnected so positive would have just been run from battery pos. but no flow. I def need to learn more but as all these things go it is surprising what people know and can not figure out easy shtuff. Ya oscope and the rest sounds good. I always just looked at prices of $3000 and got turned off and didnt look into anymore. How much was yours?
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote