View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #107
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I will go against your feeling with my feeling. I will try getting around to proving it at some point.
Great, looks like people in the community has too much "street" knowledge, but when it comes down to actually calculating numbers, there is only WDE46, Terra and myself who are doing the work. I will look forward to your proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Just as a clarification, what variables are you using to figure out this maximum pressure?
In my calculation of the pressure (without taking into account expansion), I used ideal gas law (PV=nRT), along with the knowledge of maximum operating temperature of 96 degrees Celcius. This gives a pressure of 1.3614 bars as the operating pressure (i.e. 0.3614 cap should suffice). For details and justification, read my posts above.

Now that we have an interval for the expansion (235-325 mL, we still don't know the absolute fill, hence we don't know the absolute expansion), we can start thinking about how this will effect the pressure that was calculated to be 1.3614 bars without taking into account the expansion. I still don't think it will effect it much, unless you're a clueless BMW owner (as most are), and top off your coolant as you would do on a domestic car.

So at this point, it seems to me that BMW is trying to minimize a possible premature ET failure by using a 2 bar cap. However, that's a good reason only for those clueless owners who tend to top things off, and I fail to see the advantages for the rest of us.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote