View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #119
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
While not being 100% sure, maybe a system constantly venting is not a healthy one. Think about the venting system being stuck open or in the worse but less likely case, stuck closed.

96 degrees is not the temperature in the block, it is what the coolant temperature sensor in the lower radiator hose measures. I used this value as an approximation of the coolant temperature inside the ET, which will maximize the pressure. We were trying to put a ceiling on the highest pressure, so as to err on the cautious side.

Temperature is probably much higher in the block, but of course not higher than the boiling point. Oil temperature might give a better estimation of that. INPA does have the capability of reading the oil temp.
Would it be constantly venting? I would think it'd just let out air until the pressure drops, at which point it would stop venting since it'd be at equilibrium. Now it would constantly take in and release some air as the temperatures change, but isn't that true even when the system reaches 3 bar? I suspect that it wouldn't be any worse than any other car that comes with a 1(ish) bar cap from the factory.

As far as oil temperatures go - in my experience it is highly variable on ambient temperature. On cooler days, I may barely reach 75C, but on warmer days it'll easily get to 100C. In both cases, my coolant temperature will be at around 80 degrees.