View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
pilotnbr1

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Bouncing idle after Alternator change

Well I had my battery light go on. Pulled up INPA and sure enough the system voltage was 11.25 volts. I went out and got an autozone alternator and put it it. Battery light went out and system voltage at 14 volts. Well I go to drive the car and now coming to stops frequently the idle dips too low then bounces back up to about 1000 rpm. It even occasionally stalls the engine. I thought maybe my MAF got dirty when I pulled the airbox to replace the alternator so I cleaned the MAF. Same problem. I then disconnected the MAF and very slight improvement.

I have not pulled codes.. I have looked around to see if I knocked a hose loose or dislodged any of the ducting from the MAF to the TB. Everything looks normal. It is either something I did when I did the work or something this new alternator did or is currently doing.

Anyone have a bad experience with an autozone alternator? To me it almost seems like the alternator is putting too much load on the engine causing it to bog down when the rpm is decreasing and then it does not catch itself.

When I get home I am going to look at the codes. I am also contemplating disconnecting the plug to the alternator and go for a short drive.... Suggestions?
pilotnbr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.