View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #25
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
That dude is nuggin futz...
The dude is weird, no doubt.
But that method for loosening the bolt works perfectly well. In fact, the repair manual for my Mazda recommended this exact same procedure, except you braced the extension on the ground. I have done it 4 times, and it works like a charm. I checked with several engine rebuilders, and they all said it was safe, and was probably better than an impact wrench for amateurs.
He did leave out a critical point in this procedure! You have to pull all of the plug wires, and the fuel pump fuse to assure that the engine does not start! It is also critical that you verify that you are bracing the bar on the correct side, based on engine rotation direction!
It is critical that you disable the engine from actually starting. That would be a very bad thing!
Once you are sure it is braced correctly, just tap the ignition over enough to break the bolt loose. Make sure no one is standing around near the front of the car when you do it.
The first time I did it, I was at full pucker. But it really is a no drama way to do this, if you disable the ignition correctly, at multiple points. That is why I added in pulling the fuel pump fuse.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote